About South King County Cultural Coalition - SoCoCulture
Founded in 2004
In March 2004, King County Council member Julia Patterson hosted a community luncheon to discuss the artistic and cultural vitality of South King County. Out of this the South King County Cultural Coalition, better known as SoCoCulture, was born. Some 70 groups have joined forces to promote and preserve arts and heritage in the vibrant communities south of Seattle. SoCo’s key projects include providing advocacy, collaborative marketing, and professional development opportunities for our members.
Become a member
The coalition is open to all arts, heritage, and other cultural organizations that present, produce, preserve or propel culture in South King County, including theatre, music, dance, literary, heritage, botanical and visual arts organizations. Government and education agencies are also eligible.
Check the calendar for specific dates, times, places and speakers in January, March, May, September and November. We meet at different cultural venues throughout South King County and feature guest speakers on various topics. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Our cultural association consists of dance, heritage, literary, music, theatre, municipal, botanical, educational and visual arts organizations located in Auburn, Black Diamond, Burien, Des Moines, Enumclaw, Federal Way, Kent, Maple Valley, Normandy Park, Renton, SeaTac and Tukwila, Washington. Click on the names below to read about each member. You can join the coalition online or by mail.
On Home page
- Arts Commissions – A puppet on display in the art show at the Normandy Park Arts Festival, May14-15, 2016 – photo by Barbara McMichael
- Botanical – Members of SoCoCulture’s Engaging Trees initiative – Garry Fanthorpe (Highline Botanical Garden), Rose Clark (Des Moines Memorial Drive Preservation Association), and Max Prinsen (SHADOW-Save Habitat and Diversity of Wetlands) – at the Tukwila Backyard Wildlife Festival on May 14 – photo by Barbara McMichael
- Dance – Allegro Dance Company in Burnin’ the Floor performance – this is a portion of one of the beautiful photos taken by Peter Kijac – learn more about his work at peterkijac.com
- Heritage – a tableau at Bereiter House, Greater Kent HIstorical Society – photo by Barbara McMichael
- Literary – Poet Dick Brugger will be the speaker at PAWA’s meeting this month – photo courtesy of Plateau Area Writers Association
- Music – Rainier Youth Choirs summer camp – photo courtesy of Rainier Youth Choirs
- Organizations – the welcoming front door at the Burien Art Gallery – photo courtesy Burien Arts Association
- Theatre – a scene from Rosebud Children’s Theatre Conservatory’s production of Godspell, photo courtesy of Rosebud CTC
- Visual Arts – Arts Alive! Gallery in Enumclaw – photo by Barbara McMichael
On About SoCo page
- Kwapi Vengesayi of the 5th Avenue Theatre and Jo Cavinta Anderson of the King County Library System led the conversation on outreach and community engagement at SoCoCulture’s May 2016 membership meeting – photo by Barbara McMichael