About South King County Cultural Coalition - SoCoCulture
Founded in 2004
In March 2004, King County Council member Julia Patterson hosted a community luncheon to discuss the artistic and cultural vitality of South King County. Out of this the South King County Cultural Coalition, better known as SoCoCulture, was born. Some 70 groups have joined forces to promote and preserve arts and heritage in the vibrant communities south of Seattle. SoCo’s key projects include providing advocacy, collaborative marketing, and professional development opportunities for our members.
Become a member
The coalition is open to all arts, heritage, and other cultural organizations that present, produce, preserve or propel culture in South King County, including theatre, music, dance, literary, heritage, botanical and visual arts organizations. Government and education agencies are also eligible.
Check the calendar for specific dates, times, places and speakers in January, March, May, September and November. We meet at different cultural venues throughout South King County and feature guest speakers on various topics. For more information e-mail email@example.com
Our cultural association consists of dance, heritage, literary, music, theatre, municipal, botanical, educational and visual arts organizations located in Auburn, Black Diamond, Burien, Des Moines, Enumclaw, Federal Way, Kent, Maple Valley, Normandy Park, Renton, SeaTac and Tukwila, Washington. Click on the names below to read about each member. You can join the coalition online or by mail.
On Home page
- Arts Commissions – The Burien Arts Commission – photo by Barbara McMichael
- Botanical – verdure in Federal Way at PowellsWood – photo courtesy of PowellsWood
- Dance – Grupo Folklórico Guadalajara in performance at Burien’s Día de los Muertos celebration – photo by Barbara McMichael
- Heritage – Historic photo (circa 1922) of Tukwila School, now the Tukwila Heritage and Cultural Center – the man in the photo is School Superintendent Dimmit – photo courtesy of Tukwila Historical Society
- Literary – filmmaker Steve Edmiston regales a crowd with tales of historic doings at Woodmont Beach – photo by Barbara McMichael
- Music – photo courtesy of Auburn Symphony Orchestra
- Organizations – Virginia Wright, founder of the Burien Culture Hub, signing copies of her book, Images of Modern America: Burien – photo courtesy of Burien Culture Hub
- Theatre – Deep Woods puppets will be performing at Black Diamond Library this month
- Visual Arts – shadow puppets, topic of Burien Arts Association workshops this month – photo courtesy of Burien Arts Association
On About SoCo page
- Barbara McMichael at a SoCoCulture/4Culture tabling event at the SeaTac International Festival on September 13, 2015