Submission deadline: 4/17/2021
In an effort to celebrate the diverse population that has contributed to the rich vitality of Kent and Des Moines, we are seeking small artwork sketches from local residents to be incorporated into a glass facade public artwork entitled Cambium that will be installed at the Kent/Des Moines Station of the Federal Way Light Rail Link Extension. The mural concept envisions a narrative synergy between the multicultural diversity of the region and the natural beauty that surrounds these communities. A composition of trees and branches will form an arch that bridges South 236th St, as a gesture that evokes notions of embrace, friendship, and crossing divides. The word “cambium” refers to a ring of cells in tree branches that allow for growth, and these tree branches will visually intersect with the glass surface to reveal its cross section. Just as a tree ring is a visual record of the life of a tree, our concept interprets a visual survey of the region through culturally-inspired artworks.
• Contained within a circle
• Create an array with a center axis
• Grayscale, black & white, or color
• Vector(preferred) or photo jpeg of hand sketch (minimum 72 dpi)
• Please note: sketches may need to be redrawn by our team for production purposes and elongated into an ellipse
Selected entries will receive a $100 stipend and a permanent label located in the station. Preference will be given to sketches that reflect a cultural significance or theme of personal interest that tells your story.
• Create iconic imagery sketch & include a brief description about why this design is significant to you – limit 2 entries
• Save as a vector file or photograph your art as a jpeg with a smartphone and good lighting
• E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “FWLE Art Sketch – your name” by April 17. And if you have any questions, you can send them ahead of time to that e-mail address as well.