Covington Arts Commission
Submission deadline: 8/19/2022, 5 PM
The City of Covington and the Covington Arts Commission announce a Call for Artists for designs to transform select traffic signal cabinets within the city. This project will utilize a public art application process to enhance the city’s visual landscape. The city and arts commission seek artists to help beautify the streets by transforming utility boxes and traffic signal cabinets. Artists’ designs will be fabricated on vinyl and wrapped over existing boxes to beautify each location and deter graffiti.
E-mail submissions to email@example.com
Or mail or hand-deliver submissions to Covington City Hall:
16720 SE 271st St, Suite 100
Covington, WA 98042
The arts commission is seeking professional and emerging visual artists residing in Washington State to use their talents as painters, photographers, graphic designers, or illustrators to help improve these structures. Accepted artwork must be able to be translated and digitally reproduced into a vinyl wrap format which will be installed directly onto the signal boxes and storage cabinets.
All work submitted must be of original design and reflective of a theme of inclusion and acceptance. The Covington community is becoming increasingly more diverse, creating an exciting and thriving community of individuals who choose to live in an environment of mutual respect and authentic connections. Part of celebrating a diverse community is reflecting that diversity through works of art on display. Everyone should have an opportunity to see themselves as a valued part of our community. Artists should keep in mind the size and structure of the boxes when submitting entries, as well as the location. Up to four art pieces will be selected now, and more may be chosen later. The arts commission is actively seeking artists of diverse and or underrepresented backgrounds to submit their work.
Selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Artist merit and graphic strength of proposed design
- Contribution to aesthetic and interpretation of the theme
- The ability of design to be translated onto a box wrap design
- Completeness of application as noted in submission requirements
- The ability to produce the work within an agreed time frame
Artist materials will be reviewed by the selection committee, including representatives from the community and arts professionals. Artists selected will be paid a $500 stipend per site (also included is the unlimited rights of licensing). The City of Covington will be responsible for the fabrication and installation of the final product.
All artwork submitted must be appropriate for viewing by all age groups and viewing in a public space. Designs that incorporate commercial or political advertisements will not be considered. The program also aims to deter graffiti and vandalism, and designs should not mimic or take the style of graffiti.
Respondents should submit the following materials to Pat Patterson at firstname.lastname@example.org or in-person to Covington City Hall during business hours by 5:00 pm on 08/19/2022. For any questions about submitting materials, please also contact Pat Patterson.
Materials must include the following:
- Artist name, point of contact name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address. 2. A one-page statement of interest briefly addressing the concept, design, and how you approached the project.
- A one-page resume or curriculum vitae.
- Annotated list of images. Please include the artist’s name as a heading and a brief description of each image, including title and original medium.
- Artists may submit a maximum of 5 designs for consideration. Original work can be created in any medium, but all applications must be submitted as a high-quality image at 300 PPI for review by the selection panel, minimum 800 x 600, maximum 1600 x 1200. File preferences in order are as follows: PDF, TIFF, EPS, JPEG.
- Final print-ready files must be available if selected following these guidelines: ? Minimum of 300 PPI at full 1:1 scale
- Formatted and edited using either Adobe Illustrator, Lightroom, or Photoshop ? Incorporation of a one-inch bleed for the surface to be covered
- Highest quality resolution without loss of integrity or quality
(July 20, 2022) Announcement of Call for Artists
(August 19, 2022) Art Due for Submissions
(September 8, 2022) Selection Committee Reviews Submissions
(September 14, 2022) Selected Artists Contacted
(September 19, 2022) Box Wrap Fabrication Begins
(October 14, 2022) Installation Complete
The City of Covington reserves the right to delay or reschedule the conduct of, cancel, or reissue this Call for Artists for any reason it deems necessary to do so. Applicants will be advised in the event of a delay, cancellation, reissue, or any changes. The City of Covington does not discriminate based on race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, marital status, or disability.