Renton Municipal Arts Commission and South Renton Neighborhood Association
Submission deadline: 10/19/2018
The South Renton Neighborhood Association, in collaboration with the Renton Municipal Arts Commission, is seeking artists to participate in an exciting new public art campaign. Interested artists will be permitted to “adopt” fire hydrants within the South Renton neighborhood and create artistic designs for them. The goal of this program is to embrace the artistic talents of local individuals while displaying creative artwork throughout the community. There is no specific theme for this program, though artists are encouraged to incorporate the character and history of the surrounding environment and neighborhood into their artwork.
The program is free and open to the public, and participants are asked to submit their application/design proposal to the City by October 19, 2018. The project will include 20 painted fire hydrants in the South Renton neighborhood. Selected artists will be reimbursed for the cost of materials, supplies and design fees.
• The opportunity is open to all artists, with preference given to local Renton artists.
• Artists are requested to submit a concept design of a hydrant and examples from their portfolio.
• Please contact email@example.com or 425-425-7271 for the required form
• Submit the required forms no later than 5:00 PM on October 19, 2018 to the City of Renton.
• The selected artists will be notified by a member of the project team within approximately one week after the submission deadline.
What is prohibited on the hydrants?
• Inappropriate words, advertisements, political messages, etc.
• Glued or attached objects.
• Camouflage or designs that significantly reduce hydrant visibility.
• Please avoid using dark colors or a lot of white as they reduce hydrant visibility.
Project Timeline The project team would like to select an artist, work through the design/approval phase, and complete the hydrant painting during the current non-rainy season. Preferred completion would be by November 30, 2018.
All inquiries and submissions related to this request are to be directed to: Renton Municipal Arts Commission 1055 S Grady Way, 6th Floor, Renton WA 98057 Telephone: 425-425-7271 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org