City of Auburn
Application deadline: 10/25/2017
The City of Auburn Poet Laureate recognizes and honors a citizen poet of exceptional talent and accomplishment. The Poet Laureate also encourages appreciation of poetry and literary life in Auburn. Once a Poet Laureate program is established the Auburn Arts Commission will forward a recommendation to the Mayor for final selection and appointment.
The term of service for the next Poet Laureate will be three years, beginning in the January of 2018. The award is honorific. There is no financial compensation for the position.
Any member of the public may nominate a poet for the Poet Laureate position by following the application process offered in this document. Individuals are encouraged to nominate poets from all walks of life, and all poetry forms are welcome. Nominations for Auburn’s Poet Laureate will be accepted for poets who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Poet must be a resident of Auburn for at least one year.
- Applicant and nominee must be at least 18 years old.
- Poet must have produced work of the highest caliber and have contributed substantial service to the development of the literary arts as demonstrated by the submitted application.
- Poet’s submitted work samples may be on any topic, although consideration will be given to works representative of Auburn and its history. All poetry forms will be considered.
- A poet may not self-nominate him or herself.
- No award will be given posthumously.
- Poet must not be: a member of the current Auburn Arts Commission, City of Auburn staff member, or be a person in a member’s or staff’s immediate family or household.
A panel drawn from members of the literary community will select three finalists from among the nominations. The three finalists will be submitted to the Auburn Arts Commission for review, approval, and recommendation. The Poet Laureate of Auburn will then be chosen by the Mayor from among these nominees in December.
City staff will coordinate a public ceremony honoring the new Poet Laureate in conjunction with a public program. The Poet Laureate will be invited to participate in various City of Auburn public openings and events throughout the three year term.
The Poet Laureate will be chosen on the basis of three criteria:
- Excellence as evidenced by the submitted poetry sample
- Exemplary professionalism as evidenced by an established history of publication in journals and books, special honors, awards, fellowships, and/or other recognition
- Advancement of poetry in Auburn communities as evidenced by a history of activity in Auburn’s literary community through readings, publications, public presentations and/or teaching
Nominations are not carried over in future years. If you wish to nominate someone who has been nominated before, a new nomination application and materials must be submitted.
Allison Hyde, Arts Coordinator, City of Auburn, 253-804-5043, firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply and download the forms, please visit: http://www.auburnwa.gov/things_to_do/arts_entertainment/call_to_artists.htm