Gallery One Visual Arts
Gallery One Visual Arts in Ellensburg announces its ninth national juried call. Entries of artworks that feature paper as a primary medium will be accepted from across the nation and juried by Janice LaVerne Baker and Lehuauakea for a month-long exhibition in March, 2024 in their Main Gallery in downtown Ellensburg, WA.
Examples of work that would feature paper include collage, handmade paper, origami, woven or cast paper sculptures, drawings featured on paper, video art including paper, etc. We are open to interpretations to the call. Awards totaling $800 will be distributed by the jurors.
Questions: Call Gallery One Visual Art Center at 509-925-2670 or email email@example.com
Medium: Paper must be the primary medium of the work in 2D, 3D, or video art.
Images: Submit up to six images and/or three videos for consideration.
Entry fee: $20 for first entry, $10 each additional entry submitted. Detail images will count as an additional image.
Janice LaVerne Baker was born and raised in the oddness of Southern California in the 1950’s and 60’s. She is a mixed media illustrator and painter inspired by stories that search for solutions. Her work is autobiographical while exploring emotion, longing, gender and identity. She has participated in numerous residency programs, and volunteers for Boxx Gallery and Tieton Arts and Humanities. She currently lives and works in Tieton, WA.
Lehuauakea is a Native Hawaiian interdisciplinary artist and kapa maker from P?pa?ikou, Hawai?i. With a particular focus on the labor-intensive making of kapa (bark cloth), ?ohe k?pala (carved bamboo printing tools), and use of natural pigments, Lehua is able to breathe new life into patterns and traditions practiced for generations. Lehua is committed to helping other K?naka with similar experiences connect to their culture away from home and find empowerment in their own heritage. Lehuauakea’s work has been exhibited in exhibitions nationally and internationally and is held in many private and public art collections around the globe. The artist is currently based between the continent and P?pa?ikou after earning their Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Painting with a minor in Art + Ecology at Pacific Northwest College of Art.
$300 — Most innovative work depicting paper as a medium
$200 – Best 2D use of paper as a medium
$200 – Best 3D use of paper as a medium
$100 — Award of merit
- all entries must be submitted through CallForEntry.org, also known as Café
- digital images must be cropped to include artwork only
- images will not be accepted after 11:59pm, January 28, 2024, MST
- jury result notifications will be sent via email to all entrants by February 5, 2024
- Gallery One reserves the right to refuse any entry that doesn’t meet the criteria listed
- artwork is encouraged but not required to be for sale
- artists who list work for sale will receive a 60% commission of the retail value via check within a month after the close of the show
- works valued at $10,000 or more will not be accepted
- the artist is responsible for notifying Gallery One of any changes in address or contact info from what is listed on the Cafe’ website. The gallery is not responsible for incorrect artist profile information that could lead to checks and/or artwork being shipped to an outdated address.
- refunds will not be granted to applicants who do not meet the guidelines for entry
January 28, 2024 deadline for entries
February 5, 2024 jury result notifications sent via Email
February 21, 2024 shipped entries must arrive at Gallery One
February 24 & 25, 2024 hand-delivered works may be dropped off at Gallery One 12-4pm
March 1-30, 2024 exhibition on view at Gallery One
March 1, 5-7pm opening reception during Ellensburg First Friday Art Walk
April 1-3, 2024 hand-delivered work can be picked up
April 4, 2024 return shipping begins
Open to all artists 18 years and older residing in the USA. Acceptance implies the use of your images and your name in any printed or online publicity. All work must have been completed within the last five years.
Accepted artwork specifications:
- accepted entries must include clear instructions for display
- special needs for displaying artwork must be approved prior to shipping
- artist statements/bios and high-resolution jpegs may be requested for our website and other promotional materials
- gallery shipping address and other info will be included in the notification email if accepted
Artists are responsible for round trip shipping and insurance (during shipping) of artworks. All shipments must include a prepaid return shipping label or shipping charge account number and be shipped in a container appropriate for reuse in return shipping. NO PACKING PEANUTS PLEASE. Gallery One will insure artworks for the artist’s commission value while on the premises of Gallery One at 60% of retail value.
Find all details here.