City of Auburn
Application deadline: 8/14/2020
The City of Auburn is now accepting nominations for the Poet Laureate position for 2021-2023. The Poet Laureate recognizes and honors a citizen poet of exceptional talent and accomplishment. The Poet Laureate also encourages appreciation of poetry and literary life in Auburn. The term of service for the next Poet Laureate will be three years, beginning in January of 2021. The award is honorific. There is no financial compensation for the position.
Any member of the public may nominate a poet for the Poet Laureate position. Individuals are encouraged to nominate poets from all walks of life, and all poetry forms are welcome.
- Poet must be a resident of South King County or North Pierce County and shall have been actively engaged in Auburn’ s creative community for at least one year prior to appointment
- Applicant and nominee must be at least 18 years old.
- Poet must have produced work of the highest caliber and have contributed substantial service to the development of the literary arts as demonstrated by the submitted application.
- Poet’s submitted work samples may be on any topic, although consideration will be given to works representative of Auburn and its history. All poetry forms will be considered.
- A poet may not self-nominate him or herself.
- No award will be given posthumously.
- Poet must not be: a member of the current Auburn Arts Commission, City of Auburn staff member, or be a person in a member’s or staff’s immediate family or household.
For more information, or to nominate an individual for the Poet Laureate position, review the guidelines and application document here. Then if you have further questions, contact Allison Hyde, City of Auburn Art Coordinator at 253-804-5043 or email@example.com