Department of Ecology & Seattle Good Business Network
Submission deadline: 4/23/2021, 11:59 PM
Circular Innovation Challenge is a business pitch competition for the best manufactured product idea and business model that uses prominent waste or recycled materials. This competition is limited to Washington state businesses, individuals, or groups.
Applications will be reviewed by a judging panel of industry experts in two rounds; from written submissions, a finalist pool of eight applicants will be selected to go through a seven-week program culminating with a final live-pitch event.
All applicants must source waste or recycled materials present in WA state to develop a viable product that can scale to meet the needs of our regional market, and must identify how local WA communities are positively impacted by the diversion of waste through the creation of their product. Business pitch submission requirements are outlined in this document and will be judged by a panel of professionals, practitioners, and industry experts based on the following categories:
- Volume/weight of waste diverted will be prioritized. Project ideas that use the most discarded waste/recycled materials will receive more points
- Equitable impact. Product ideas that have greater positive impact on historically under-resourced individuals and communities (BIPOC, refugee, immigrant, low-income, etc.) will receive more points (e.g., create new jobs, create a product that has low-barriers to access and purchasing/affordability, etc.)
- Environmental impact. Product ideas that show viable metrics around environmental impact will receive more points (e.g., measurable reductions in carbon emissions, water usage, pollution and/or chemicals)
- Innovation. Product ideas that create a solution for material streams that pose a prominent challenge will receive more points (e.g., a solution for a dominant ‘waste’ stream like textiles, glass, plastics, etc.)
- Scalability. Product ideas that clearly outline market demand and ability to scale across the region, and beyond, will receive more points
For more information click here.