Museum of History & Industry
Application deadline: 10/4/2021, 9 AM
The Digital Image Technician is responsible for assisting the Library Collections Manager and the Collections Resources department in overseeing the digitization of library and collections materials and distribution of these digital images for internal needs and to the general public. This individual also contributes to and participates in reaching the overall library/collections/museum goals and projects. This position is a member of the Collections Resources Department.
This position reports to the Library Collections Manager and is located at the MOHAI Resource Center at Georgetown. Rate of pay $21-$23 DOE. Non-exempt, hourly, fulltime, Monday – Friday (37.5 hours/week). Benefits include: Medical and dental insurance and eligible for participation in 403 (b) savings plan.
- Production: Digitization of library and collections materials using archival digital image best practices. This includes scanning and digital photography of both 2D and 3D materials; meta-data creation; organizing, analyzing and prepping for print or web distribution; and correction and digital retouching to provide high-quality products for customer requests, exhibit displays, and the online collection.
- Equity: Ensure that all interactions are culturally responsive, respectful, and based on a foundation of MOHAI’s commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
- Customer Service: Serve as the point of contact with internal and external customers to deliver high-quality digital images of library and collection items. Work with Library Associate and other Library staff to locate the artifact, enter information into invoicing software Wave, process payment, deliver the image, and report sales data.
- Collaboration: Support MOHAI image needs through delivery of digital images or prints for exhibit displays, marketing emails and communications, website images and digital-media postings, PowerPoints, and digital slideshows.
- Organization: In conjunction with Library staff, support the maintenance of the department’s collection of digital images on internal servers, including managing files and metadata and supporting the institution’s digital archiving efforts.
- Other: Assist the management of volunteer Library projects, including training in digital scanning and documentation, and monitoring ongoing efforts.
- Opportunity to serve on IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility) Committee.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Any equivalent combination of photography, scanning, digital imaging experience (minimum 1 year) and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Completion of a photography, digital imaging, or archives support training program or degree preferred.
- Working knowledge of best practices and trends in digital scanning and photography, including capture, color management, formats, conversions, and standards for digital objects.
- Familiarity with operating and maintaining a range of capture and imaging technology and scanner and camera hardware.
- Familiarity with visual media and digital image editing software, data management, and processing, such as Adobe Photoshop and Bridge.
- Familiarity with batch processing related to image conversion and manipulation.
- Experience working in museums, libraries, or archives, including standards for care and handling of rare and fragile materials, preferred.
- Self-motivator with good judgment, as well as team oriented and collaborative. Able to meet deadlines and work as part of a team.
- Excellent customer service, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Bilingual and multilingual skills welcome.
- Enthusiasm for MOHAI’s exhibits, programs, and mission.
To Apply (no phone calls, please), e-mail letter of interest, resume, and three references by Monday, October 4th at 9 AM to: Human.Resources@mohai.org