Washington State Cultural Alliance
Proposal deadline: 8/18/2019
The Cultural Congress, Washington’s statewide cultural conference, is currently accepting proposals for program curriculum. Of specific interest are proposals for professional development workshops, plenary conversations and key note speakers, however, other idea proposals will be considered. This year’s Congress is produced in partnership with the Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation and will be held October 20 – 23, 2019 at the Yakama Nation Cultural Center and Legends Casino in Toppenish, Washington. The Conference theme will be “Forging Our Cultural Future.”
- Inform, rejuvenate and energize the cultural sector to nurture vital cultural programming
- Collaborate on the creation of a process and framework for statewide cultural strategic planning
- Provide advocacy training to ensure Washington state’s mandated Since Time Immemorial: Tribal Sovereignty Curriculum is implemented in every Washington school
- Connect state tribes to their local cultural organizations for future partnerships
- Create a strategic agenda and form partnerships around cultural objectives.
The Cultural Congress Planning Committee encourages proposals that promote learning and conversations around best practices, deepen relationships and develop new constituencies, equip leaders with tools and information for local and statewide advocacy, and champion economic, cultural and equity opportunities.
Sessions may also focus on communications, inclusion and diversity, equitable programming, marketing, board development, fundraising & development, leadership management, strategic planning, education, community programming and other areas related to our sector’s work.
Proposals will be reviewed by the Cultural Congress Planning Committee. Selection will be made based on the strength and clarity of the proposal, the individuals involved and the anticipated impact.
To submit a proposal, please complete the required application form and email to Margaret Thompson, Programs Coordinator, at Margaret@culturalaccesswa.org. Presenters who are selected to present at the 2019 Cultural Congress will receive a discount on the overall conference fee. Presenters are expected to pay conference fee balance, accommodation, and travel costs. Depending on the strength of the proposal and relevance of the proposed session, exceptions may be made with additional support provided.
Please submit a word document or PDF that includes:
- Your name, address, phone number, and email address
- Description of the proposed session (limit 400 words), please include: Session title; topic, including learning goals and objectives; Target audience for your session (artists, arts administrators, etc.); and Session format (moderated panel, Q&A, hands on training, etc.);. Please indicate if the session has been presented before including when and where.
- Primary presenter bio (limit 150 words) and if applicable, names and bios of additional participants.
- References with contact information for people who know your work as a presenter.
- List of audio/visual, room set-up, and other technical requirements for your session.
- If compensation is required, please provide budget breakdown.
Deadline for submission is August 18, 2019. Presenters will be notified by September 1.