Soos Creek Botanical Garden and Heritage Center
Soos Creek Botanical Garden and Heritage Center seeks a Garden Maintenance Coordinator who will work to maintain and preserve the vision and qualities that make the Garden unique. The Garden is located at 29308 132nd Avenue S in Auburn.
This is a part time position and hours vary with the gardening season from mid-January to
Thanksgiving. They range from 16 to 20 hours a week in the winter and up to 30 hours a week during spring and summer. Must be able to work Saturdays. The hours are generally Wednesday throughSaturday, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.
This is hands-on garden maintenance under direction, working independently as well as with a cadre of Garden volunteers. Hourly pay scale is in the low $20.00s and is dependent on level of knowledge and experience.
The position involves physical labor and exposure to inclement weather. Maintenance is suspended only in the event of extreme weather.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Hands on garden maintenance; oversee and execute all maintenance of the gardens including planting, weeding, watering, deadheading, pruning, mulching and raking.
- Supervise and lead garden volunteers and interns.
- Direct/coordinate with garden maintenance staff.
- Manage plant sales. Both regular and special event sales. Work with the propagation team to maintain inventory. Set up and break down of sale. Work the day of the sale.
- Assist with garden events including set up and tear down of tents, tables and chairs.
- Foster an appreciation and understanding of the garden for visitors.
- Other duties as assigned
- One or more verifiable years of local gardening or landscaping experience.
- Knowledgeable of horticultural practices. Associates Degree in horticulture is a plus, but not essential.
- Plant identification skills and knowledge of local maintenance practices for perennials, shrubs and trees, including pruning.
- Skilled in management/best practices in an environmentally friendly garden.
- Experience operating garden equipment and lawn tractors or willingness to learn.
- The position involves physical labor. You must be in good condition and able to bend, squat, dig and kneel as well as stand and walk for extended periods of time. You should be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Good communication skills and strong interpersonal skills; must be a team player able to work effectively with a diverse group of individuals.
- Able to work independently as well as with a team of volunteers and interns.
Soos Creek Botanical Garden and Heritage Center is dedicated to promoting the enjoyment, understanding and conservation of plants and the natural world along with our community’s local history through education, research, and stewardship. Located on 23 picturesque acres, the gardens include rare perennials, nature paths, meadows, native woodlands and a pond garden. The Master Gardener Demonstration Vegetable Garden supplies fruits and vegetables for several local food banks. The Heritage Center preserves the history of the Soos Creek Plateau through a collection of early photos, historical maps and artifacts. The Garden aspires to be a community asset, a place to relax and a place where everyone can be inspired by nature.
Soos Creek Botanical Garden and Heritage Center is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff and will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, we strive to create and maintain a working environment that is inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
- Horticulture: 1 year (Preferred)
- Gardening: 1 year (Preferred)
For full details and to apply, click here.