SHADOW Lake Nature Preserve
This is a great opportunity to be a community contributor, while spending your summer at SHADOW Lake Nature Preserve! Learn about environmentalism and nonprofits in a real world setting. SHADOW’s Summer Youth Intern will be responsible for assisting with summer educational programming and events at the Nature Preserve, completion of an independent project, and working with SHADOW staff.
Length of position: Through the end of August
- 10-20 hours a week, Wednesday- Saturday
- Occasional weekends and evenings will be required
- Our office is open 10am-5pm and interns can work 2-4 days per week,
dependent on their schedule.
Location: SHADOW Lake Nature Preserve office is located at 21656 184th Ave SE, Renton, 98058. You will need to have reliable transportation.
What you will do:
- Plan and host 2-3 Youth Engagement Events during the summer. For example, plan and lead a Youth Work Party and Picnic.
- Attend outreach events in the community and represent SHADOW with other volunteers.
- Help with restoration field work, gardening, and more.
- Learn to use SalesForce, an important tool for organizing contacts and data.
- Build social media promotions for the Nature Preserve.
- Assist in facilitating SHADOW’s summer Environmental Education experiences. These 2-3 hour field trips always include a bog tour and are a great way to learn some group management and environmental science.
- Help coordinate the 22nd Annual Frog Frolic on Saturday, September 15th. Intern will be involved in all aspects of the event production from planning and outreach, to day-of coordination and wrap-up activities.
- Provide clerical support to SHADOW Staff.
- Work outside and learn about restoration and the environmental issues facing our region.
- The opportunity to design and bring to life a passion project of your own choosing using the resources of an established nonprofit organization.
- Develop public speaking and project management skills and written communication skills.
- Gain professional experience.
- Career benefit: All high school interns at the Nature Preserve will develop a professional resume and vocabulary for future job seeking over the course of their internship. They will also make connections at Green River College.
- $500 scholarship: This is a volunteer position, but the successful intern will receive a $500 scholarship to be used towards the education upon completion of the internship.
- Passion for the environment and natural resource stewardship.
- An interest in becoming a community contributor.
- Experience with common social media platforms.
- Positive attitude and the ability to carry yourself in a professional manner.
- Self-motivated and can follow directions.
- Reliable transportation.
- Currently enrolled (for 2018-19) high school Juniors, Seniors, or recent graduates.
- Must be available to work at the Frog Frolic on September 15th.
Please send a resume and brief description of your interest to Ali Yeates at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Youth Intern.”