ArtsFund and Washington State Department of Commerce
Submission dates: 5/10-24/2021
These pandemic recovery grants will be administered by ArtsFund to Washington nonprofits meeting the eligibility requirements listed below. Organizations that are led by and/or serve under-resourced communities, culturally diverse populations, and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Grants will be distributed to nonprofits statewide in four focus areas listed below. Washington State Department of Commerce is partnering with ArtsFund to center the grants program on arts, cultural, science, and heritage organizations. Grants will also be awarded to nonprofit neighborhood organizations, sports and recreation organizations, and veterans organizations.
All applications received by the May 24 deadline will be considered. Click here to be notified of application opening on May 10.
Grants range from $2,500 to $25,000. Awards must be used to cover expenses incurred between March 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021, due to financial hardship incurred by the COVID-19 pandemic. Funds will be awarded as unrestricted grants but cannot be used to cover expenses previously covered by other COVID-19 related public or private funding sources including Paycheck Protection Program funds.
Organizations that meet all of the following criteria are eligible to apply:
• Organizations that have 501(c)(3) status, or fiscal sponsorship by a 501(c)(3), with appropriate documentation since FY2019
• Organizations that have a 2019 annual operating budget greater than $25,000 (Fiscally sponsored orgs ARE eligible, if documentation is from FY2019+ and 2019 budget is over $25,000)
• Organizations that operate in one or more of the following four focus areas:
Arts, culture, science, and heritage organizations
Defined as organizations whose primary mission is to offer or promote artistic, creative, cultural, scientific, technology or heritage programs for the enrichment of their community.
Defined as organizations whose primary mission is to make improvements to a community’s social health, safety, well-being, and overall functioning within a well-defined geographic area. (This does not include homeowners’ associations.)
Sports and Recreation Organizations
Defined as organizations whose primary mission is to provide sports or physical recreation programs for children and/or adults. Programs must have designated coaches and organized practices.
Defined as organizations whose primary mission is to serve veterans through their programming or services.
Who is NOT eligible to apply:
• For-profit organizations
• Political advocacy organizations
• Homeowners’ associations
• Organizations located outside of Washington state
If your organization is eligible, we encourage you to apply. Washington State Department of Commerce and ArtsFund are committed to equity within our state and encourage organizations who are led by and/or serve under-resourced communities, culturally diverse populations, and underrepresented groups to apply. These include, but are not limited to, organizations in rural communities and organizations led by and/or serve communities that identify as BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), as people with disabilities, and as LGBTQ+.
Award decisions will be based on COVID-19 impact to your organization. This will be measured by the effect on both the current year’s financials and future budgeting. Awards will also take into consideration a narrative description of COVID-19 impact and non-financial impacts as described by the applicant. In addition to COVID-19 impact, additional consideration will be given to organizations that have demonstrated work in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Applications open at 1:00 pm on May 10, 2021
• Applications will not be accepted after 11:59 pm on May 24, 2021
• Grant recipients will be notified on or before June 30, 2021
• Funds will be distributed on or before June 30, 2021
• A public information session will be held on May 11, 2021 from 2:00-3:00pm. To attend the webinar, please register via this link. This webinar will be recorded and automatically generating subtitles and ASL interpretation will be provided.
• Organizations will be asked to provide estimates of total expenses, total earned revenue, total contributed revenue, and total personnel expenses for FY19, FY20, and FY 21(budgeted).
• Organizations will be asked to upload their most recent Form 990 or 990-EZ.
Please click here to review Frequently Asked Questions.
If you have any further questions about this grant, please contact: NCRgrants@artsfund.org.
To review eligibility requirements, click here. Fiscally sponsored orgs ARE eligible, if documentation is from FY2019+ and 2019 budget is over $25,000…I hope that allows many in your network eligibility and appreciate your support in promoting the opportunity and encouraging groups to apply.
The NCR grant application portal will be open May 10 – 24. We know it’s a tight turnaround, and the support of our partners in getting the word out early, and in encouraging eligible applicants to apply, will be key drivers in the program’s success. Please contact NCRgrants@artsfund.org or call 206-203-2255 with any questions.