Federal Way Arts Commission
Submission deadline: 3/29/2019
The City of Federal Way Arts Commission invites local artists to submit a mural design as a launch to the first Piano in the Park program this summer. The piano will be displayed for the summer months at Town Square Park as part of an initiative to build capacity and support the development of public art within the region.This temporary piano installation will celebrate visual art and music, giving visitors to Town Square Park the opportunity to play, enjoy and share their talents using a creative and accessible piano.
As part of the application process, artists are required to develop and submit a preliminary visual concept for the mural to be painted on a functioning piano. One artist will be chosen by a selection panel that includes members of the Federal Way Arts Commission. The artist’s stipend for painting the upright piano (4’7″ x 2′ x 3’10”) plus the bench and storage box will be $600. Selected artist must supply acrylic paints and/or other materials necessary to complete the project. The artist selection will be announced April 5, with work expected to begin on April 12. The piano will be installed on May 24, 2019.
• Artists interested in participating in this project are encouraged to submit unique and vibrant design concepts
• There is not a specific thematic requirements for designs submitted
• Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted
• Designs must not contain advertisement or promotion of products, religion or personal beliefs
• Artist must guarantee that the design submitted in the application is original and does not violate the copyright of any other person
• Accepted artist will be required to sign a contract outlining the terms of the project
Applications must be submitted either by e-mail to Cassie.Swan@cityoffederalway.com or by regular mail to the following address: Federal Way Community Center; Attn: Piano in the Park; 876 S 333rd Street; Federal Way WA 98003.
Application must include:
• A filled-out application form (contact Cassie for form)
• Resume demonstrating artist’s background, qualifications and relevant past experiences
• Design proposal (rough colored sketch or image of proposed design approximately 8″x8″). In addition, artists must submit short description of the concept, choice of colors, materials and idea behind their design.
• Documentation list – clearly listed on a separate sheet and include details of the images: title, date, size and medium