Applications being accepted now
Project Feast is a nonprofit social enterprise with a mission to empower refugees and immigrants by preparing them for culinary careers in Washington State. We offer an 18-week Culinary Skills Apprenticeship Program for immigrants and refugees.
JOB DESCRIPTION Project Feast runs a café located in Kent, as well as provides catering to the greater Seattle area. The kitchen assistant is an important position for our café and catering operations. The person in this position will support our food services while also having the opportunity to continue developing his/her communication and leadership skills in the kitchen. This position is a wonderful opportunity for someone who would like to grow. It is currently a part-time position that will require approximately 28 hours a week. Depending on interest, there is a possibility to grow this to a full-time position in the future. The kitchen assistant’s role includes the following responsibilities.
- Work with the lead cook to prepare foods for service
- Prepare for café service (setting tables, preparing POS system, etc.)
- Welcome and take customer’s orders using our POS system
- Service customers for dine-in as well as take-out orders
- Work with the lead cook to prepare foods for catering orders
- Pack food, serving dishes and marketing materials for catering events
- Deliver food to catering events
- Set up the food for the customer ensuring the display looks nice and is professional
- Provide event service if requested
- Clean hot boxes, hotel pans, chafing dishes and any other catering dishes
- All counters are cleaned
- Floor is swept and mopped
- Tables are wiped
- All dishes are done
- Counters are cleared and things are put away
- Garbage/recycle/compost are taken out
Supporting apprentices in the Project Feast culinary program
- Setting a good example of professional behavior including a positive attitude, arriving on-time every day, not using cell phones in the kitchen and wearing appropriate clothing in the kitchen
- Maintaining and enforcing the standards of cleanliness in the kitchen
- Showing good team work
- Caring about the progress of each apprentice
- Helping provide constructive feedback to apprentices
- Demonstrating food safety, including safe food handling, appropriate glove use, and correct sanitation practices.
- Current WA State Food Handler Permit or commitment to obtaining one before starting date. A thorough understanding of safe food handling and kitchen hygiene.
- A minimum of 4 months of work experience in a commercial kitchen or successful completion of an intensive program like Project Feast Culinary Apprenticeship program
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Able to stay on feet for hours at a time
- Able to work between 8:30am and 3pm on weekdays
- Able to work some evenings and weekends with prior notice
- Reliable and consistent with a positive attitude
- Ability to read and speak in English. Writing preferred but not required.
- Ability to speak a second language highly desirable!
- Strong interest in learning and growing your skills and leadership ability
- Interest and respect for other cultures and cuisines
Compensation & Benefits
- Starts at $15.00/hour
- Free lunch every day
- Paid sick leave
- Medical Insurance stipend
- Opportunities to learn and practice new skills
- Opportunity to grow this position into a full-time position
Women of color, refugees, immigrants are highly encouraged to apply. We hope to have this position start by February 15. For consideration, please e-mail a resume and cover letter to Van Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail documents to: Project Feast, 202 W Gowe Street, Suite L, Kent, WA 98032