Deadline: 12/1/2022, 5 PM
Together Center is a nonprofit human services center supporting Seattle’s Eastside since 1991. The 20+ nonprofit providers located at our campus in Redmond help thousands of people annually.
With one trip to Together Center, community members can access a full range of supports including: health care; dental care; mental health counseling; case management; addiction support; behavioral health; advocacy services; childcare resources; disability services; therapies for children of diverse abilities; economic assistance; job training; and cultural navigation for immigrants, among others.
We are looking for emerging and established artists to create or submit existing applied wall art to beautify and enliven the project. Artwork should convey the welcoming and inclusive message of Together Center.
This call is open to all artists living and working in Washington State. Please read the application requirements carefully. Artists are asked to submit a biographical statement as well as images of work for Together Center’s permanent collection. Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) artists are encouraged to apply.
Working with our human service provider partners, we have designed exciting community aspects for the new
Together Center including a welcoming public lobby, suites in which to best provide services, communal teaching kitchen, multicultural event and gathering spaces, a social-purpose coworking area, an indoor/outdoor lounge for nonprofit worker respite, and a small community art gallery.
Scope of Work:
Together Center will select up to 4 works of art from up to 4 artists to enhance our interior spaces. Installation will be coordinated in early to mid-2023 upon completion of the Project.
Planned Artwork Location and Budget:
Location: 4 locations throughout the Mountain (B) building (2 lobby, 1 community kitchen, 1 hallway outside of event center). Click here and scroll down to see Presentation Plan addendum.
Budget: $20,000 for 4 pieces of artwork ($3,000-$5,000 per piece)
Details: Wall art. Ideally this is 2D, text, or relief wall pieces (that protrude no more than 4” off the wall). All pieces will be required to be easily installed securing on the walls indicated. If the piece is particular heavy the artist must indicate the weight along with the planned installation method when making the proposal. All pieces are within publicly accessible spaces so therefore secure to wall and not easily removable.
Together Center is under construction on an expanded, dynamic new nonprofit center with the addition of 280 units of family-focused affordable housing on the upper levels.
Together Center Wall Art – RFP
- Lobby (south wall, west of doors to the elevator lobby): no more than 7 feet wide and 4 feet tall.
- Lobby (east end of lobby): no more than 4 feet wide and no more than 7 feet tall
- Community Kitchen: Wall size is 35 feet long by 11 feet tall. Artwork does not need to cover the entire wall, but artist needs to take into consideration how the piece should be placed on this wall.
Hallway outside of event center: Wall size is 13 feet long by 11 feet tall. Artwork does not need to cover the entire wall, but artist needs to take into consideration how the piece should be placed on this wall.
Several important criteria for these pieces are:
- Guiding statement: Together Center unites and fosters, under one roof, strong agency partnerships that empower people and strengthen our community. Forging forward together, so everyone thrives.
- Safety to the public (i.e., no sharp edges, no points, no breakable or bendable components, no climbing hazards, etc.)
- Appropriate for family-friendly audience
- Welcoming and inclusive
Selection and Installation Timeline:
- Artist submission due: December 1, 2022 (5 p.m. PST)
- Artist Final selection and notification (up to 4): March 1, 2023
- Installation of artwork: April 2023
Guidelines for Artist / Artwork Eligibility:
- Artist eligibility will not depend on an artist’s professional status; however it must reflect a high quality of work. (Non-professional artists are eligible to participate.)
- Artwork submitted for consideration should be original art
- There is no limit on the date of creation for the artwork submitted.
The artwork budget for the arts location are as follows, inclusive of all fees, including Washington State Sales Tax (10.1%). Selected artists will receive total commission upon Together Center receiving artwork.
The deadline for submission is 5 PM (Pacific Standard Time), December 1, 2022. Please allow ample time to complete your application; applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
Upload final package to Together Center Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/request/5yFa1p0a9Nw82K40SXEN
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Biographical statement (not to exceed 200 words or 60 second video). The biographical statement replaces a resume and is a space where you can summarize your experiences as a creative individual.
- Proposed artwork: we are seeking works for our permanent collection. Submit up to 2 pieces of artwork, with up to 4 images of each piece. Image identification information to include proposed location.
- Label all your files with your name first For example: your name_biographical statement.pdf
Together Center is committed to reflecting the diversity and cultural richness of our State in the selection of artists and artworks. The Art Selection Committee will review all statements and artwork examples with respect to the below criteria.
- Artistic Merit, High Quality, Diversity: Artwork will be evaluated on its own merit and if the artwork contributes to diversity in style, scale, and media in traditional and contemporary art forms used throughout the project.
- Welcoming to All: Artworks must be suitable for public display and free of safety hazards. Some examples of the welcoming-to-all criterion include absence of violence, nudity, bias and hate. Quality of concept, design, and craftsmanship of past works.
The selection process will include a review by a peer panel and advisors who will review all interested applicants’ materials and will select four pieces of wall art, from up to 4 different artists to be purchased for Together Center’s ongoing display.
Notification of Results:
Applicants will be notified of the panel’s decision by email by March 1, 2023.
The Together Center Art Selection Committee reserves the right to ask the Artist to make changes to the artwork. If the artist agrees, a new price may be negotiated. The artist does reserve the right to decline this request. If so, the artwork as presented may or may not be considered for purchase. The decisions of the Committee are final.