Museum of History & Industry
For nearly 80 years, MOHAI has been dedicated to enriching lives by preserving, sharing, and teaching the diverse history of Seattle, the Puget Sound region and the nation. With a collection of nearly 4 million artifacts, photographs, oral histories and archival items, and an expansive schedule of exhibits and programs, MOHAI is the region’s premier history center. It is located in Lake Union Park in Seattle’s South Lake Union neighborhood.
This temporary position will run from July 15, 2021 through January 2022. The associate will be regularly scheduled 10 – 25 hours per week, and must be available for variable hours, including days, evenings, and weekends.
Visitor Services & Sales Associates are responsible for greeting visitors with exceptional customer service, courtesy and professionalism, serving the public through friendly and accurate sales of admissions, memberships, and retail merchandise. Position also serves where needed in galleries and museum common areas, helping to ensure a positive visitor experience. This position is a member of the Finance and Operations Department.
- Contribute to outstanding customer service by maintaining friendly and courteous interactions with visitors and staff.
- Ensure that all interactions are culturally responsive, respectful, and based on a foundation of MOHAI’s commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
- Work at the Admissions Desk, in the Lobby, in the Museum Store, Exhibit Galleries and where needed in the museum.
- Manage lines of visitors, handle phone calls, respond to questions, and receive museum visitors and administrative guests.
- Cashier for Admissions, Membership sales, and Retail merchandise.
- Assist with tracking of MOHAI assets by properly receiving, storing, and organizing store inventory.
- Keep work areas, Admissions Desk, Museum Store and assigned Exhibit Galleries organized and tidy.
- Monitor galleries, answer questions for visitors, help to maintain the appearance of the galleries, which include inspecting the art and/or exhibit objects, labels, and furnishings for signs of damage or theft. Keep areas organized and tidy for visitor safety and enjoyment. Assist with introducing groups of students or adults to the museum and support Security in monitoring visitor behavior in the galleries.
- Collaborate with Visitor Services Department leadership regarding overall customer care and operational support.
- As requested by other departments, gather information about visitors by collecting zip codes, survey questions, contact information on guest passes, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous cashiering experience in customer service, retail, concierge, hospitality, or equivalent field.
- Attention to detail with accurate data entry skills; competent with MS Office software including Outlook.
- Work effectively in a high volume, high energy environment.
- Able to work with a computer keyboard and monitor, monitor galleries and communicate comfortably with members and visitors.
- Enjoy sharing information, managing data, and organizing merchandise.
- Must work well with the public and others, be dependable, punctual, friendly and authoritative with the ability to communicate clearly in written and oral format.
- Able to maintain security standards and have a flexible schedule.
- Possess or willing to acquire CPR (including child and infant) and First Aid certification.
- Bilingual and multilingual skills valued.
- Enthusiasm for MOHAI’s exhibits, programs, and mission.
Pay rate: $17.00 per hour
For more information, please visit www.mohai.org.
To Apply: Please e-mail letter of interest, resume, and three references to email@example.com