SHADOW Lake Nature Preserve
Application deadline: rolling
This grant-funded position will be tasked with studying the history people and wetlands in King County. Wetlands are a vital resource and key feature of King County’s landscape, yet their degradation proves a threat to the health of our modern environment. Gain intersectional work experience with this unique historical research position and spend time at the beautiful SHADOW Lake Nature Preserve.
The start date is flexible and the length of position is six months. The schedule is 400 hours and the intern may design their own work schedule around availability. SHADOW’s office is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 AM – 5 PM. Occasional weekends and evenings will be required.
Duties & responsibilities:
- Meet with local history buffs, ecologists, and wetland scientists to gain understanding about the changing perception towards wetlands in our area.
- Compare historic peat resources surveys from Washington with modern data available through the Department of Natural Resource’s Natural Heritage Program.
- Conduct five filmed interviews with SHADOW partners and program participants.
- Study historic uses (including native peoples’) of 15 native plants found at the Nature Preserve and create educational content based on findings.
- Produce a report of key finding based on research conducted.
- Work with SHADOW staff and volunteers on developing language for communicating research findings to the public.
- Support staff with clerical tasks, social media post building, some data entry, and program promotion
- Gain professional experience, while learning about wetlands, forestry, nonprofit management, and the history of our beautiful and changing landscape.
- Meet with a vast array of professionals working across environmental and humanities sectors. This position provides diverse networking opportunities and exposes intern to the nonprofit landscape in South King County.
- Completion of this internship involves a variety of portfolio-building projects that demonstrate work abilities to future employers.
- Gain practical experience with technological platforms used by SHADOW including Salesforce, Microsoft Office 365 applications, and WordPress.
- Your work will improve SHADOW’s ability to increase public awareness of this critically important and rapidly disappearing resource!
- Transportation benefit: reimbursement for gas to and from SHADOW and any travel costs incurred on behalf of SHADOW.
- At least one year of professional experience, preferably within the nonprofit field.
- Passion for the environment and the human history of the Pacific Northwest.
- Positive attitude and the ability to carry yourself in a professional manner.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Experience conducting historical research, familiarity with this process.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite desired.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience with common social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter
- Must be at least 18 years of age and currently enrolled in some form of post-secondary education.
- Reliable transportation.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter of your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Heritage Internship.” SHADOW Lake Nature Preserve is located at 21656 184th Avenue SE, Renton (actually unincorporated King County).